Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"How He Loves"

I have been going crazy lately over something I used to think was trivial.  David Crowder re-wrote the words to John Mark McMillian's song "How He Loves," and it has been driving me out of my mind.  He changed the lyric "so heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss," to "so heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss."  This is theologically reprehensible.  The kingdom of heaven in no way meets earth like an unforeseen kiss!  It has been the subject of books, and sermons, lectures, and doctoral dissertations.  It is the single most anticipated moment that will ever come, more so perhaps even than the coming of Messiah!  I have been so bothered by this, and I don't know what the answer is.  The words "so heaven meets earth like an anxiously anticipated kiss," don't exactly roll of the tongue.  I don't really know what to do here.  Now I need you to understand something.  I LOVE DAVID CROWDER!  He is one of the incredibly small number of actually talented Christian musicitians, and he deserves respect.  He is one of the most important artists when it comes to worship music, along with; Hillsong, Passion, Steve Fee, Phil Wickham, and Shane Bernard.  Crowder (who typically comes to the rescue of our generation in propagating edgy worship music) has really sold this song short.  If you are a worship leader, or a senior pastor, please sing the song the way it was written.  Your congregation will get over the original shock, and will learn to embrace the song the way the original artist penned it (which I am always in favor of).  Shalom

No comments: